Resources for Support
Reviewed by: HU Medical Review Board | Last review date: September 2017. | Last updated: August 2021
There are many support groups and organizations that can provide support, information, and guidance for patients with all types of cancer, including bladder cancer. These include:
- The American Cancer Society
- The Canadian Cancer Society
- The Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network (BCAN)
- Fight Bladder Cancer (UK)
American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society is a large, well-respected national organization dedicated to cancer research, education, and patient support. They offer information about a wide range of topics for patients with cancer, including bladder cancer. Some of the resources they offer include:
- Help in understanding your cancer diagnosis
- Resources for finding and paying for cancer treatment
- Information about cancer treatment and possible side effects of treatment
- Resources for caregivers and families of patients with cancer
- Tips for staying healthy and active during and after treatment for cancer
- Help in finding local support groups and organizations
- Information about participating in clinical trials
- Strategies for coping with concerns about recurrence
Canadian Cancer Society
The Canadian Cancer Society is a Canadian national, community-based volunteer organization that is dedicated to supporting patients with cancer and improving their quality of life.
Some of the resources they provide include:
- Support and information for patients diagnosed with cancer as well as their families, friends, and caregivers
- Information about cancer, diagnosis, treatments, side effects, and clinical trials
- A peer support service that allows patients and caregivers to connect with trained volunteers who can offer experienced, empathetic support
- A community services locator to find local-area support and resources
Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network (BCAN)
A resource that is devoted specifically to bladder cancer is the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network (BCAN). It is a national advocacy organization that is dedicated to bladder cancer research, advocacy, and providing support to bladder cancer patients. The organization also provides a directory of local in-person support groups for bladder cancer patients throughout the United States.
Fight Bladder Cancer (UK)
Another bladder-cancer specific organization is Fight Bladder Cancer. They are based in the UK and work to help raise awareness about bladder cancer, support medical research, campaign for policy changes, and provide information and support to those living with bladder cancer.
Finding in-person support
There are many online resources that provide information and support. However, some people may prefer to find an in-person support group in their local area, where they can meet and connect with bladder cancer survivors.
If you are interested in in-person support groups, speak with your healthcare providers about local support groups for bladder cancer in your area. You can also use search engines available on cancer support websites to search for local support groups and organizations, such as this one from the American Cancer Society website.